Jump to searchboxZur Sprachauswahl springenJump to navigationJump to contentJump to footer

Study Abroad

PROMOS Scholarship

You are planning to participate in a masterclass, language course or competition abroad? Apply for the PROMOS scholarship. The PROMOS scholarship covers short-term stays abroad of up to six months.

Details on the scholarship as well as the application and selection process can be found on our page PROMOS Scholarship.

Erasmus Outgoing

The Erasmus+ programme of the European Union offers students the opportunity to spend one or two semesters at a European partner school, gain international experience and expand their network.
Erasmus+ students do not need to pay student fees (other than potential administrative fees) at the partner school. Generally, the students receive an Erasmus+ scholarship granted by the International Office. A transfer of credits from the exchange will be awarded based on the relevant examination regulations upon the return.


Application Deadline

  • 10 January for both one or both semesters


  • Be a current student at HfM Berlin
  • Bachelor students: be in at least your third semester
  • You may not apply to study in your home country
  • Non-EU residents need a visa for the host country

Application Process and Documents

Below you will find a list of our current partner schools. If you are interested in attending a school that is not already a partner, please contact the International Office. When deciding on a programme, be sure to consider fit based on your personal academic goals.

The application process for Erasmus consists of two steps.

1. Internal Departmental Application

Internal applications must be submitted by the deadline (January 10) to your department.

Application Documents:

Voice, (Music Theatre) Direction, Lied Interpretation
Edith Reichel
Tel.: 030/688 305 870

Conducting, Correpetition
Saskia Schunn
Tel.: 030/688 305 870

Strings, Harp, Guitar, Winds, Percussion
Nicole Anders
Tel.: 030/688 305 209

Piano, Composition, Electroacoustic Music
Heike Nagel
Tel.: 030/688 305 880


2. Partner School Application

Once you have been accepted by your department, you then have to apply to the partner school.

Our partner schools all have varying application processes (application portal, per post, per email) and differing requirements. Please check the relevant partner school's website for information regarding the application process and required application documents (e.g. CV, transcripts, audio/video recordings, recommendation letter).

As soon as you have prepared your application and collected the relevant documents, please make an appointment with the HfM International Office to discuss the next steps.

Applications to partner schools that must be send per email or post are submitted via the International Office.

Finances/Study Abroad BAföG

  • According to § 5 BAföG, German students and international students with a permanent residence permit may receive Study Abroad BAföG when they study abroad.
  • Students who do not receive a BAföG in Germany may be entitled to Study Abroad BAföG due to additional costs of being abroad.
  • Applications for Study Abroad BAföG are not processed at the Berlin Student Union’s Office and instead at different offices based on the country of the receiving institution. A list of all relevant offices can be found here.
  • Students with children or with disabilities may apply for a supplementary allowance on top of their regular Erasmus+ scholarship.
  • For further information and advice on Erasmus+ mobility measures, please contact the German Academic Exchange Service.

After Your Exchange

After the Erasmus+ exchange, you should submit the following documents:

  • Letter of Confirmation from the institution you attended
  • Transcript of completed courses from the institution you attended
  • If necessary, the application for credit transfer from the institution you attended

Additional Information

Re-Registration at HfM

You are still required to re-register while studying abroad. Part of your semester fees may be reimbursed. It is also possible to apply for a leave of absence during your time abroad. The transfer of credits from your exchange will be awarded based on the relevant examination regulations upon your return.


Please note that there is no insurance cover for the programme. For students who go abroad during their studies in Germany, DAAD offers a combined health, accident and private liability insurance. Further information on terms and conditions and can be found here.

Language Course

Through the International Office, you can request a license for a language course and test of the language of your host country.