Hanns Eisler does not provide any housing. Students can take advantage of student housing through the studierendenWERK Berlin. Further possibilities are offered by online platforms for housing / WG search or also private / non-profit carriers. The HfM General Students Committee (AStA) has a facebook group where students occasionally post advertisements for rooms and apartments. For the aforementioned student dorms, we recommend you apply as soon as you have paid the semester fee.

Documents you may need for the apartment search:

  • Proof of income for the last three months
  • Copy of your passport
  • A form letter from your previous landlord saying that your rent is sonsistently paid in full punctually (called a Mietschuldenfreiheitsbescheinigung in German)
  • Your German credit report (Schufa)
  • A surety/co-signature contract, or Bürgschaft in German, if necessary

For those with low income who would like to apply for social housing, you would need to apply for a Wohnberechtigungsschein (WBS).

The Berliner Mietfibel (in German) can assist you with questions about apartment and rental rights.

The Student Union of Berlin (studierendenWERK BERLIN) offers rooms and apartments in almost all areas of Berlin. Information about housing offers.

Students typically live in shared apartments called a “Wohngemeinschaft” or “WG” in German. This is especially good for new Berliners as a single room is generally cheaper and it allows them to meet new people. There are many websites that publicize available rooms (and apartments).

Please be aware that there are many fraud advertisements! Two tell-tale signs are prices that are too good to be true and requests to pay your deposit and rent very early (sometimes without even seeing the room or apartment).